DCSIMG

Journalists stunned by News of the World closure

editorial image

editorial image

SOUTH Tyneside journalists today told of their shock and anger after the plug was pulled on the News Of The World.

Sunday’s edition of the tabloid will be the last – after 168 years.

Daily Mirror associate editor Kevin Maguire, from South Shields, said he was “astonished” at yesterday’s announcement, adding that News International chief Rebekah Brooks – who was editor of the NOTW when murdered 13-year-old Milly Dowler’s phone was allegedly hacked – should have been axed.

Maguire, from South Shields, said: “It is astonishing that 168 years of history had been wiped out, but that Rebekah Brooks is still there.”

On his Twitter site, he added: “Cynical if to clinch BSkyB, sell a Sun on Sunday.”

Former Gazette reporter Gareth Crickmer, who was a freelancer for the NOTW, added: “It must not be forgotten that, at its best, the paper has played a unique role in uncovering wrongdoing, and its demise should not be celebrated.”

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page