The death of a man found at a block of flats in South Shields is not being treated as suspicious.
Police were called to Stanhope Road, yesterday, after the body of a man was discovered in the property, just after 10am, following a fire.
A post mortem carried out has revealed the man's death was due to smoke inhalation.
A spokeswoman for Northumbria Police said: "A post mortem has been carried out and it has been established the cause of death was smoke inhalation.
"It is not believed to be any third party involvement and a file is now being prepared for the coroner."