DCSIMG

Councillors’ pledge over house-bid plan

PLANNING BATTLE ... Coun Geraldine Kilgour with, from left, Russell Scott, Coun Alan Smith, Malcolm McCullough and Philp Metcalfe at the Lincoln Way site.

PLANNING BATTLE ... Coun Geraldine Kilgour with, from left, Russell Scott, Coun Alan Smith, Malcolm McCullough and Philp Metcalfe at the Lincoln Way site.

A NEWLY-elected councillor has pledged “all is not lost” in the fight to block controversial plans to build a new home on a borough estate.

More than 200 residents signed a petition in protest at plans for a four-bedroom detached house in Lincoln Way, Fellgate, Jarrow.

Those opposing the plan say it will create a traffic hazard, and that it is out of keeping with neighbouring properties.

Labour’s Coun Geraldine Kilgour has been helping to co-ordinate opposition to the scheme.

After claiming victory in the Fellgate and Hedworth ward at last month’s local elections, she was appointed a member of the council’s planning committee, which has the power to approve or reject such applications.

But at her first meeting this week, Coun Kilgour had to declare a predetermined interest in the application – and was not able to vote on it.

And in her absence, colleagues approved an outline planning bid.

Coun Kilgour said she was disappointed at the decision, but believes the development can still be blocked. She said: “There is a saving grace to this in that this was purely an outline application, not a full application, and there was scant detail before the committee.

“I was very grateful to the committee for asking that if a full planning application is made within the next three years, that it comes before them again for consideration.

“It was also stated that a rigorous flooding assessment is also made at that time. So all is not lost as far as I am concerned, and I spoke at length to the residents after the meeting.

“Ultimately I am disappointed, but remain supportive of the residents on this.”

The Lincoln Way site was originally reserved for a public house when the Fellgate estate was built in the late 1960s.

But that never materialised, and in 1981 a bid for 10 flats on the site was rejected.

A report to Monday’s planning committee, which previously deferred a decision, stated: “The proposed development would provide an additional dwelling on an area of open space which is located within a mature and predominantly residential area.”

Twitter: @shieldsgazpaul

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page