SOUTH Tyneside residents are being asked to help police solve a series of crimes.
Officers have released a number of images of people they want to speak to in connection with a number of thefts.
The appeal comes during Northumbria Police force’s Operation Soundwave campaign – aimed at targeting suspected opportunist thieves and burgars across the region.
1) Ref BB/342/13 - Cash was withdrawn from an ATM at Asda at Coronation Street in South Shields on December 9, 2013. The cash was accidentally left behind at the ATM and was then stolen by another person.
2) Ref BB/004/14 - Theft of alcohol from Low Simonside News, Stanhope Road in Jarrow, which happened on January 8.
3) Ref BB/022/14 - Happened on January 10 when alcohol and cigarettes were stolen from McColls at Abbey Drive in Jarrow.
4) Ref BB/007/14 - Theft of a purse from a customer’s handbag at Home Bargains at Station Street in Jarrow, which happened on December 7, 2013.
5) Ref BB/016/14 - Theft of an unattended bike from the foyer of Tesco at Newcastle Road in South Shields, which happened on September 9, 2013.
6) Ref BB/014/14 - Happened on November 12, 2013, when tools were stolen from Wickes at Station Road in South Shields.
7) Ref BB/017/14 - Happened on November 14, 2013, when alcohol was stolen from Asda at Station Road in Hebburn.
8) Ref BB/036/14 - A customer asked for cashback from a self service till at Asda at Station Road in Hebburn, which was accidentally left behind at the till, and was then stolen. Happened on December 31, 2013.
9) Ref BB/031/14 - Theft of groceries from Morrison’s at Ocean Road in South Shields, which happened on January 2.
10) Ref BB/030/14 - A carrier bag containing an XBox game and controller was accidentally left at McDonald’s at King Street in South Shields, and was then stolen. Took place on December 31, 2013.
11) Ref BB/027/14 - Theft of a memory card from the EE shop at King Street in South Shields, which happened on December 14, 2013.
12) Ref BB/025/14 - A bag containing computer accessories and stationary accidentally left behind by a customer at Wilkinson’s at Market Place in South Shields, was stolen. Took place on November 26, 2013.
13) Ref BB/287/13 - Happened on November 9, 2013, when staff at Swainston’s Sweethearts at Whiteleas Way in South Shields were asked for change of notes. The staff were distracted and confused during the changeover and offenders made off with an extra £200.
South Tyneside Chief Inspector Sarah Pitt said: “We work hard to tackle those people suspected of being involved in opportunist theft across South Tyneside and there are operations continuing to keep thieves and burglars at bay.
“CCTV plays an important part in helping us detect and solve crime and in unsolved cases such as these the public can be of great assistance in identifying people suspected of being involved.
“We want to speak to people in these images as they may be able to help us with our inquries into these crimes and I’d urge anyone who recognises them to get in touch with us.”
Anyone who recognises the people in the images or information that could help officers with inquiries is asked to contact police on 101 ext 69191.
Calls should be for the attention of South Tyneside Area Command’s Intelligence Unit and callers are asked to quote the reference number.
People can also contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.