POLICE are calling on South Tynesiders to help them catch the culprits responsible for a series of unsolved crimes in the borough.
They have issued CCTV images of people they want to talk to in connection with nine crimes committed in March and last month.
Anyone who recognises the people pictured is asked to get in touch with police.
The images have been released as part of a force-wide crackdown on opportunist thieves and burglars taking place as part of Operation Soundwave.
Chief Inspector Sarah Pitt, of the police’s South Tyneside area command, said: “We also work closely with retailers and successful shopwatch schemes to prevent offences from taking place and to ensure those who do steal are dealt with appropriately.
“With the majority of shoplifting offences detected, our message is clear – if you come to South Tyneside to steal, the likelihood is that you will get caught.
“For those who aren’t identified and dealt with instantly, we will make CCTV images public in an effort to solve those offences which are still undetected.
“We’ve released images of these people we need to speak to, who it’s believed can help with our inquiries into these offences.”
Anyone who recognises the people in the images is asked to call the South Tyneside area command intelligence unit on 101 ext 69191, quoting the reference number on each picture.
They can also call Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.
The suspects are wanted for the following crimes:
1. Ref no: BB129/14 - Food stolen from ASDA, Coronation Street, South Shields on Saturday, March 15 at 6pm.
2. Ref no: BB132/14 - Theft of a bicycle outside Wardle’s Newsagents on Prince Edward Road, South Shields on Tuesday, April 1 at 8.05am.
3. Ref no: BB139/14 - Theft of a sat nav and other property from a car parked outside Jarrow Metro Station on Wear Street in Jarrow on Wednesday, March 26 at 2.50pm.
4. Ref No BB144/14 - An attempt was made to pass a counterfeit banknote at JD Sports in King Street in South Shields on Friday, April 11, at 10.02am.
5. Ref No: BB143/14 - Theft of food from the Co-op on Dean Road, South Shields on Friday, April 11 at 6.15pm.
6. Ref no: BB146/14 - Theft of a large bottle of cider from One Stop Store, Stanhope Road in South Shields on Monday, April 14 at 8pm.
7. Ref No: BB151/14 - Theft of two bottles of cider from Biddick Hall Post Office, Dickens Avenue, South Shields on Wednesday, April 16 at 7.15am.
8. Ref no; BB152/14 - Theft of meat from Lidl Supermarket in Laygate, South Shields on Thursday, March 27, at 2.27pm
9. Ref no BB172/14 - Purse theft at Marie Curie Cancer Care charity shop, Bede Precinct, Jarrow on Friday, March 21 at 1.15pm.