Drink-driver gets a three-year ban

Gazette news web logo

Gazette news web logo

Have your say

A DRINK-driver has been banned from the roads after trying to drive home after a drinking session in South Tyneside.

Andrew Ramshaw was three times over the limit when police spotted him driving his mother’s Vauxhall Zafira with no lights in Westoe Road, South Shields.

Magistrates heard one of the 27-year-old’s friends was meant to be driving home as Ramshaw doesn’t have a driving licence, and wasn’t insured to drive the car.

But the other man made his own way home after having too many drinks during a night out in the town centre.

Ramshaw, of Dunstanburgh Court, Jarrow, pleaded guilty to taking a vehicle without consent, drink driving, driving without a licence and driving without insurance at South Tyneside Magistrates’ Court.

John McGlone, prosecuting, said: “He was stopped at 1.50am in Westoe Road, after police noticed the car did not have any lights on.

“He was arrested, and a breath test showed he had 105mg of alcohol in 100ml of breath – the legal limit being 35mg.

“He fully admitted the offence, and said he did not hold a licence and was not insured to drive the car, and his mother said he did not have permission to drive it.”

Mr McGlone added: “On the night in question, he had been out in South Shields with a friend. He lost his friend and didn’t have the money for a taxi, so decided to drive home.”

Ian Cruickshank, defending, said: “His mother gave his friend permission to drive her car. He had been drinking, so went home early without it.

“While Mr Ramshaw was intoxicated, he decided to drive the vehicle home instead of getting a taxi.

“He didn’t get very far before being stopped.

“He explained what had happened to the officers, and was fully co-operative throughout.”

Mr Cruickshank told the court that Ramshaw is a full-time carer for his mother.

Magistrates banned Ramshaw from driving for three years, and gave him a 12-month community order with supervision and a electronically-tagged curfew for five weeks between 8pm and 7am.

He was also ordered to pay £85 costs.

Twitter: @shieldsgazcrime

Back to the top of the page