Drunken woman’s racist abuse of police and stab threats

SUSAN PHILLIPS ... was jailed for eight weeks.

SUSAN PHILLIPS ... was jailed for eight weeks.

A DRUNKEN woman shouted racist abuse at police and warned she would “stab someone” during four 999 phone calls made in less than two hours.

Susan Phillips made the calls after downing a bottle of vodka.

She told the emergency operator she had a gun and was going to kill herself.

Such was the concern for her safety, that, upon her arrest, she was taken to hospital before being escorted to the police station to be interviewed.

The 35-year-old admitted a charge of persistently making use of a public communication network to cause annoyance, inconvenience or anxiety.

Phillips, of Whickham Road, Hebburn, made the calls between 9.28pm and 11.08pm on January 26.

Glenda Beck, prosecuting, said: “At 9.28pm, a call was made to the police control room. The call was abusive and threatening towards the operator and police.

“At 9.55pm, another call was made to 999. The female was abusive and threatening.”

Ms Beck said Phillips said she had a gun, used racist language about police officers and also claimed said she had taken an overdose.

She added: “At 11.03pm, she called again and wouldn’t say where she was. She said she was going to stab someone.”

Phillips made a further call at 11.08pm, saying she had a shotgun.

The court heard that a police operator called her back at 11.24pm on the mobile number she had rang from – only to be met with more abuse.

Phillips was arrested soon after and taken to hospital for a check-up before being taken to a police station. She told officers the string of calls were “a cry for help”.

Ian Cruickshank, defending, said Phillips has a long-standing mistrust of police, dating back to an offence she was charged with, but which she still denies committing.

She was jailed for eight weeks for shouting racist abuse at a black police officer, spitting at him and kicking him in the shins in February 2012.

Mr Cruickshank said: “Miss Phillips apologises for her behaviour.

“She had not any dealings with the police until she was 20, when, even now, she says she was wrongly arrested on a public order offence.

“She feels persecuted by the local beat officers. That is no excuse, she wants to apologise for the distress she may have caused.

“The trigger was the breakdown of a relationship which brought a great deal of stability to her life. She has a son who is eight years of age.”

District Judge Helen Cousins adjourned the case for a probation report. She will be back in court for sentencing on March 27.

Twitter @shieldsgazchris


Back to the top of the page