DVD thief gets suspended sentence for £2,500 raids

DOUBLE DVD RAID ... the Asda superstore in South Shields.

DOUBLE DVD RAID ... the Asda superstore in South Shields.

A THIEF stole more than £2,500 worth of DVDs during a hat-trick of raids at two supermarkets in the space of a week.

Daniel Mould snatched the high-value haul of goods – including the handbaskets they were contained in – from Asda stores in both South Shields and Newcastle.

The 22-year-old stole £1,287 worth of DVDs from Asda in Coronation Street, South Shields, on October 20 of last year.

He returned to the same scene of the crime on October 22, grabbing another £772.64 of items.

Then on October 26, he took DVDs valued at £610 from the supermarket’s branch in Gosforth, Newcastle.

Mould pleaded guilty to three counts of shop theft at South Tyneside Magistrates’ Court yesterday.

The case was then transferred to Sunderland, as a breach of the unpaid work element of a suspended sentence order given at the court last November was outstanding.

Stan Sudworth, prosecuting, said: “The offences are fairly straightforward but the value is high.

“He took the shopping baskets as well as the goods on each occasion.”

The court heard that Mould, of Byron Street, Southwick, Sunderland, is already subject to a eight-week prison sentence suspended for 12 months, and must carry out 100 hours of unpaid work.

The thefts at Asda took place before the suspended sentence was imposed.

The sentence was handed out at Sunderland Magistrates’ Court in November of last year for his part in the theft of £1,000 of mobile phones from Sainsbury’s in the city.

Gerry Armstrong, defending, said: “Mr Mould was shown CCTV of the offences and has made full admissions.

“He was without funds at the time as he had unfortunately lost his employment.”

District Judge Helen Cousins decided to send the case to Sunderland Magistrates to be heard on the same day to tie in with the breach of the unpaid work order.

For the Asda thefts, he was given a further 12 weeks suspended for 12 months, with 12 months’ supervision and also ordered to pay £200 compensation to the supermarket chain.

He was also handed a re-engagement order attached to the original suspended sentence.

Twitter: @shieldsgazchris




Back to the top of the page