Life for knifeman who slashed stranger’s throat in street

JAILED FOR LIFE ... Richard Stoves used a six-inch blade to attack student Stanley Ting.

JAILED FOR LIFE ... Richard Stoves used a six-inch blade to attack student Stanley Ting.

A KNIFEMAN who slashed a stranger’s throat in the street has been jailed for life.

Richard Stoves used a six-inch blade to attack student Stanley Ting as he was walking home from a shopping trip in Sunderland.

Newcastle Crown Court heard the 21-year-old pharmacy undergraduate, who is studying at Sunderland University, needed stitches inside and outside the wound to his neck and has been left scarred.

The injury “narrowly missed” a vital artery and the student, who is now in his final year of studying, described what happened to him as “horrific”.

Judge John Evans sentenced Stoves, of Milburn Street, Millfield, Sunderland, to life behind bars after he admitted wounding with intent,

The court heard the 29-year-old has been caught carrying a knife or knives in the street five times in the past.

Judge Evans told him: “The reasons for attacking him that day are not clear, they are unclear to you.

“How close you came to inflicting a fatal wound is not difficult to imagine. It is clear that you constitute, in your current condition, a danger to the public and it is a very serious danger at that.”

The judge said Stoves must serve a minimum of three years before he can apply for parole but made it clear it is up to the Home Office when he will be finally allowed back on the streets.

The court heard Mr Ting had realised someone was behind him as he carried his shopping bags over the footbridge at the University Metro station in Sunderland on September 22 last year.

Prosecutor Neil Pallister said: “The first thing he felt was an extremely sharp slicing feeling to the side of his neck.”

Mr Ting realised there was blood coming from the five-centimetre wound to his neck and made it to the Sunderland Royal Hospital on foot.

The court heard Mr Ting, who had no problems since he arrived in Sunderland from Malaysia in 2010, was left suffering nightmares and is extremely conscious of his scar, which is visible above his collar line.

The university helped organise taxis to take him to lectures when he first returned to his studies.

The court heard Stoves, who was downing up to nine litres of alcohol per day, as well as drugs, was traced after a media appeal to find the student’s attacker.

When police arrested him at his home, almost a month after the attack, he said ‘aye, I’ve got a good idea what this is all about.’

Jamie Adams, defending, said Stoves’s family have tried in the past to get him psychiatric help and he is willing to try and “sort himself out”.

A spokesman for the University of Sunderland said: “This was a traumatic experience for our student. Our specialist staff have been offering support throughout, and will continue to do so.

“Incidents like this are extremely rare. The safety of our students is paramount to us and we pride ourselves on our students being able to study and socialise in a safe environment while on campus.”

Twitter @shieldsgazette


Back to the top of the page