A MAN is due to appear in court after messages appeared on Facebook threatening an “Oslo-style” bomb attack targeting Muslims in South Tyneside.
Kenneth Graham Holden has been charged with two counts of sending offensive, indecent, obscene or menacing messages or matter, and will appear at South Tyneside Magistrates’ Court on September 25.
A police probe was launched after race-hate posts were allegedly made on the popular social networking site, threatening an attack on Ocean Road, South Shields, which has long been the centre of the town’s Bangladeshi community.
Comments were found threatening a pipe bomb attack on the street, made in reference to the actions of right-wing extremist Anders Behring Breivik, who was convicted of killing 77 people in two attacks in Norway last year – eight in a bomb attack in Oslo and a further 69 who he shot in a massacre on Utoya Island.
Officers arrested Holden, 30, from Winskill Road, Simonside, South Shields, and he was bailed pending an investigation, but Northumbria Police have now confirmed he will face charges.
A force spokesman said: “Kenneth Graham Holden, from Winskill Road, in South Shields, has been charged with two counts of sending offensive/obscene/indecent/menacing messages or matter.”
Speaking when the investigation was launched, South Tyneside Chief Inspector Michael Barton said the police force would not tolerate “racial incitement” on the internet.
He said: “There is no place for any sort of racial incitement or use of social networking to place inappropriate comments, and we take incidents such as this extremely seriously.”