DCSIMG

Man faces trial over attack on his ex and her friend

editorial image

editorial image

A MAN who attacked his ex-partner while he was on bail accused of another assault against her will remain in custody until his trial date.

Mark Elliot, of no fixed abode, pleaded guilty to carrying out common assaults against his former girlfriend and her female friend at South Tyneside Magistrates’ Court last week.

At the time of the offences – Saturday, January 25 – he was already awaiting trial denying another assault on his former partner from January 2, as well as another charge of threatening to destroy property belonging to her on Boxing Day.

Magistrates were told that the 25-year-old spotted his ex-partner while she was at shops in Finchale Road, Hebburn, at 7.50pm on Saturday, January 25.

Glenda Beck, prosecuting, said: “The victim and another female were walking in Finchale Road when they saw the defendant standing in a doorway.

“He said he wanted to talk and she said ‘no’.

“He punched her in the face and turned to the other female who tried to assist, and punched her in the head, saying ‘I’m going to kill you’.”

Police were called and Elliot was arrested.

His ex-partner was left shaken, while the other injured party had a damaged lip.

CCTV was viewed by police, which confirmed the assault.

Elliot was remanded in custody until yesterday, for a trial date to be set and a possible bail application to be made.

The trial date for the denied charges of common assault and threatening to destroy property was set for February 20 at South Tyneside Magistrates’ Court.

Elliot will also be sentenced for the two common assaults he admits on that date.

No appeal for bail was made by defence solicitor Valerie Bell, so Elliot will remain remanded in custody until the trial.

 
 
 

Back to the top of the page