A MAN has been ordered to stay away from his ex-girlfriend for a decade after he injured her hand during a violent clash at her home.
The woman was left “terrified” when Robert Cape lunged at her after knocking on her door last August 4.
Newcastle Crown Court heard the victim suffered a cut to her palm and soreness after the door was kicked open.
Cape, of Norham Avenue South, South Shields, admitted affray.
Judge Brian Forster QC sentenced the 25-year-old, who has spent three months in custody on remand, to a community order for 18 months with supervision and programme requirements.
Cape was also given a restraining order banning him from having any contact with his ex for 10 years.
The judge said Cape getting help from the probation service “might avoid this type of situation in future”.
The court heard Cape, who has a previous conviction for an attack on an ex-partner, had turned up at the woman’s home while she was on a night out with a friend and there had been heated exchanges by phone.
She told police he appeared “really angry” when she got home, and said his behaviour made her frightened.
The court heard Cape had left the house but knocked on the door within moments of leaving.
Christopher Rose, prosecuting, said: “She opened the door and at that point he lunged at her and kicked the door open.
“In the process of that, her left hand was injured.
“At the time she said she was terrified of him and did not want him anywhere near her.”
Vic Laffey, defending, said Cape just wants to get back to work and is willing to co-operate with those who are trying to help him.