Thug locked up for attacking his ex and her niece

editorial image

editorial image

A MAN attacked an ex-partner while on bail for another assault on her, telling her ‘I’m not going to prison for this’.

But Mark Elliot was jailed for six months at South Tyneside Magistrates’ Court after admitting two counts of common assault on Saturday, January 25.

The 25-year-old punched both his former girlfriend and her niece after spotting them going into a shop in Finchale Road, Hebburn.

He was already awaiting trial for an alleged assault on his ex on Thursday, January 2, at that time.

John McGlone, prosecuting, said: “He was on bail regarding an ongoing assault case at the time.

“The injured party entered a shop on Finchale Road at 7.50pm.

“He was by the door in an agitated state and said he wanted to talk to her.

“She said ‘no’ and asked her niece to call the police. He punched her in the face. As the niece went to assist her, he punched her in the head.

“He appeared drunk and said ‘I’m not going to prison for this’.”

Elliot’s ex-partner was left shaken by the assault, and her niece suffered swelling and bruising to her lip.

Elliot was found guilty of the January 2 assault last month.

He was back at court to be sentenced for the double assault on January 25 after pleading guilty at a previous hearing.

Geoffrey Forrester, defending, said: “He knows exactly what his situation is today. He knows there is every chance that you will take the view that immediate custody is the only option.

“He is under no illusion about that.”

Sentencing Elliot, District Judge Helen Cousins told him: “You have had every single type of punishment from the court in the past, from suspended sentence to community order, but you just don’t keep to them.

“The one thing that doesn’t seem to have happened to you is going to prison. I have taken the view that only prison is sufficient.”

Elliot, of no fixed abode, was jailed for six months in total for the two assaults.


Back to the top of the page