Women’s terror in South Shields sex trap

editorial image

editorial image

TWO women revealed their ordeal at the hands of an attacker who trapped them inside his South Shields flat before rape and death threats.

Jason Nolan attacked both victims, repeatedly putting his hands around their throats, and refused to unlock his door, even when police were outside demanding to be let in.

Police had to force their way into the flat in Lord Nelson Street, and use CS gas during the 39-year-old’s arrest.

One victim, who was sexually assaulted during the ordeal, told police what happened in the flat was the “worst experience of my life” and said she believed she would be killed that night.

Despite the women’s terror, Nolan yesterday walked free from Newcastle Crown Court after being handed a suspended prison sentence.

Neil Pallister, prosecuting, told the court the women, who are both in their 20s, had gone back to Nolan’s flat after a night out last summer.

It was when they went to leave they realised the door was locked, the keys were nowhere in sight and Nolan told them “you are not going anywhere”.

The court heard one of the victims managed to contact the police during the terrifying stand-off that followed but Nolan still refused to let them out.

Mr Pallister said: “The defendant grabbed one woman by the throat and squeezed. She describes him growling, saying ‘I will kill you’.”

The court heard while after the other woman managed to get Nolan away from her friend, he turned his attentions on her.

Mr Pallister said: “Again, he put his hands around her throat. She said she could hardly breathe. She was saying she didn’t want to die and she loved her kids.

“He said she didn’t love her kids and deserved to die.”

The woman was then sexually assaulted while Nolan warned he would rape and kill her, during which time her friend was considering jumping out of the window to get help.

The court heard when the police arrived at the door they heard a woman inside shouting “get off me”.

When police forced their way in they found both victims distressed and crying and had to use CS gas spray when Nolan put up a struggle.

Nolan pleaded guilty to sexual assault, two charges of common assault and resisting a police officer.

Judge Paul Sloan QC said: “Effectively, the victims were locked inside the flat for a period.

“There was more than one victim, each seeing what was happening to the other and the overall attack was sustained, during which pleas to desist were ignored.

“Pleas by the police to be allowed in were ignored.”

The judge sentenced Nolan to 12 months imprisonment, suspended for 18 months, with supervision requirements and £250 costs.

The judge said the sentence could be suspended because Nolan, who had a history of mental health problems, has made “significant strides” to address his behviour, including stopping drinking alcohol and taking non-prescription drugs.

His risk of re-offending has been assessed as low.

Stephen Duffield, defending, said: “He clearly is a man who needs and would benefit from help. He recognises that.”


Back to the top of the page