Don’t be killed by your own kitchen appliances: How to stay safe from fire dangers

Home fire safety check. from left Rob Knight and firefighter John Semple
Home fire safety check. from left Rob Knight and firefighter John Semple
0
Have your say

​Fire chiefs are warning people to be aware of the possible dangers from kitchen appliances.

Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service has issued the advice as part of UK Home Safety Week in a bid to raise awareness of the many fires are started by household appliances - from cookers to washing machines.

Home fire safety check. from left Rob Knight and firefighter John Semple

Home fire safety check. from left Rob Knight and firefighter John Semple

They want householders to take take advantage of free safety checks the service offers.

Between April 2015 and March 2016 there were 263 fires involving these types of kitchen appliances in Tyne and Wear.

Group Manager Dave Jefferson, said: “One of the main ways people can avoid fires caused by appliances is to not leave items such as washing machines, tumble dryers and dishwashers unattended. 
“Don’t leave them running when nobody is in the house or when you to sleep at night.”

The brigade offers free home safety checks.

Home fire safety check. from left Rob Knight and firefighter John Semple

Home fire safety check. from left Rob Knight and firefighter John Semple

Edmund Knight, 50, from Beatrice Gardens, East Boldon, received a fire safety check from fire fighter John Semple.

Mr Knight who lives with his two children, was advised not to leave phones charging overnight and to ensure all doors were shut when leaving the house and going to bed.

Fire fighter Semple said: “We advise everyone to have one smoke alarm fitted per floor of their home and these should be tested once a month.

“We suggest that people have a bedtime routine where they should switch everything off. This includes phone charges especially, as they can get hot within ten minutes.”

Home fire safety check. from left Rob Knight and firefighter John Semple

Home fire safety check. from left Rob Knight and firefighter John Semple

Mr Semple added that householders should also ensure they have an escape plan in place should a fire break out and that they are aware of the importance of closing doors, unplugging electrical equipment and the safe disposal of cigarettes.

Mr Semple added: “Washing machines and tumble driers should also be switched off before bed or leaving the house.
“People think that because an appliance has water in it then it won’t catch fire, but that’s not the case.”

New and old appliances up to 12 years old should be registered so that you can be notified directly if a product is recalled by the manufacturer or a safety repair is needed.

To register an appliance visit: www.registermyappliance.org.uk

Home fire safety check. from left Rob Knight and firefighter John Semple

Home fire safety check. from left Rob Knight and firefighter John Semple

For more information on how to stay safe from fire or how to request a home safety check visit www.twfire.gov.uk or www.facebook.com/twfrs or www.twitter.com/tyne_wear_frs or call 0800 0327777.

Home fire safety check. from left Rob Knight and firefighter John Semple

Home fire safety check. from left Rob Knight and firefighter John Semple

Home fire safety check. from left Rob Knight and firefighter John Semple

Home fire safety check. from left Rob Knight and firefighter John Semple