Drunken yob’s death threat to police

BACK IN COURT ... serial offender Wayne Mathison.

BACK IN COURT ... serial offender Wayne Mathison.

A BOOZED-up yob threatened to kill police after being spotted drunk in a South Tyneside street.

Prolific offender Wayne Mathison was asked to calm down by officers but continued to hurl abuse at them.

The 30-year-old – who has a history of drink-fuelled threats against emergency services – pleaded guilty to being drunk and disorderly in a public place at South Tyneside Magistrates’ Court.

Paul Anderson, prosecuting, said: “Police were at Lawrence Avenue in South Shields at 4.30pm on January 7 when they saw the defendant leaning against a wall drunk.”

Mathison asked what the police wanted and swore at them before being asked to calm down. Mr Anderson added: “He doesn’t take heed of that and says ‘I will kill you’.”

Mathison continued his tirade of abuse even as he was being arested.

Only last week, Mathison was convicted of another drunk and disorderly charge after warning police: ‘I will slash you right up’ after being stopped while foaming at the mouth in Whiteleas Way, South Shields, on New Year’s Eve.

He is due to be sentenced for that offence on February 27.

Rachel Mangini, defending, said: “Mr Mathison has a long record of previous convictions, including a number of drunk and disorderly matters.

“He is a chronic alcoholic and this has been a massive problem for him for several years.

“He has been a nuisance to the courts for a number of years but wants to put that behind him.

“His alcohol intake has now greatly reduced.”

Mathison, of Constable Gardens in South Shields, was given a six-month conditional discharge and ordered to pay a victim surcharge of £15.

Only last month, Mathison was bound over to keep the peace after telling police “I will kill the lot of you” when they came to his parents’ home to arrest his brother.

In September of last year, Mathison pleaded guilty to another charge of being drunk and disorderly, after threatening police that he would cut them up and bite off their faces.

Just a month earlier, he had been given a community order after threatening to stab a paramedic, who had come to assist him when he collapsed after a nine-hour drinking session.



Back to the top of the page