E-Cig warning by South Tyneside fire chief

E-cig warning.
E-cig warning.

South Tyneside residents turning to E-cigarettes to satisfy their nicotine habits are being warned to be extra careful when charging the devices.

The message comes after crews were called to Morrisons in South Shields on Sunday after an E-cigarette was left on charge in an office.

“You should always take care when charging electrical items and always buy chargers from a reputable source.”

Bill Forster

The device had overheated and melted causing an office and corridor to fill with smoke.

A fan was used to clear the area of smoke.

Across the country fire chiefs have been urging those using the devices to exercise caution after reports of chargers overheating and/or exploding.

District Manager Bill Forster, Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service, said: “Our advice is to always follow the manufacturer’s instructions regarding the charging process.

“You should always take care when charging electrical items and always buy chargers from a reputable source.”

The fire service have issued the following advice: Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions for safe charging, use and disposal; Keep the device away from flammable or combustible materials when charging and; Do not exceed the recommended charging time or leave it unattended for any significant length of time.

For more advice visit www.twfire.gov.uk