THE South Tyneside pupil who died while on a school trip to Tanzania suffered a severe allergic reaction.
The 18-year-old student, believed to be with a party from Harton Technology College, has been named locally as Jack Burden.
He was on a trip with school expedition company, True Adventure, to the East African country when he died yesterday.
The teenager was on an expedition with his classmates when he suffered a severe allergic reaction.
Despite receiving immediate first aid and treatment with EpiPens - an emergency treatment for anaphylaxis - he could not be resuscitated.
A spokesman for True Adventure said: “The team had been completing a 28-day expedition, trekking in southern Tanzania and working on a charity project; they were on day 19 when the incident occurred.
“The True Adventure Operations Room in the UK were notified by satellite phone in the afternoon (UK time) of July 22 that one of the team had suffered an allergic reaction.
“The team’s highly experienced and qualified expedition leader immediately administered CPR and EpiPens, but sadly they could not be resuscitated. The cause of the allergic reaction has not been confirmed.
“The Operations Room helped coordinate the team’s evacuation from their remote location by organising for an ambulance with an international medical support agency doctor and a medic to meet them at the nearest road-head.
“The thoughts and condolences of all at True Adventure are with their family and friends and the organisation’s efforts are fully focused on ensuring they are supported in any way possible.”
A spokesman for the college, in Lisle Road, South Shields, said it was not in a position to make a comment at this time.
A Foreign and Commonwealth Office spokesman said: “We are aware of the death of a British national in Tanzania on July 22. We are providing consular assistance at this sad time.”
For more news on this breaking story, keep visiting www.shieldsgazette.com