TRAGIC teenager Jack Burden was working on a charity project to build sports facilities for a school in Tanzania when he died from a severe allergic reaction.
The 18-year-old, from South Shields, was in the East African country with expedition company True Adventure when the tragedy happened on Tuesday.
The teenager, a Harton Technology College pupil, was on an expedition with his classmates.
Despite receiving immediate first aid and treatment with EpiPens - an emergency treatment for anaphylaxis - he could not be resuscitated.
The team of 10 young adults, two college staff and one expedition leader had been completing a 28-day expedition, trekking in the Uluguru region of southern Tanzania and working on a charity project to construct sports facilities in a local school.
They were trekking on day 19 of their expedition when the incident occurred. True Adventure’s operations room in the UK was notified by satellite phone that one of the team had suffered an allergic reaction.
The team’s qualified expedition leader administered CPR and EpiPens, but sadly Jack could not be resuscitated. The cause of the allergic reaction has not been confirmed.
The operations room helped coordinate the team’s evacuation from their remote location by organising for an ambulance with an international medical support agency doctor and a medic to meet them at the nearest road-head, which was 9km away.
True Adventure continue to work with the Foreign & Commonwealth Office, the local emergency services, their international medical support agency and the local authority to provide all the support possible to the expedition team and their families.
Dan Trueman, managing director of True Adventure said: “We are deeply saddened by this tragic incident and our thoughts and prayers are with the young man’s family and friends at this difficult time.”