Family’s new tragedy as dad dies at 27

TRAGIC ... Ross Young with his son, Sonny. Below, with his fiance, Tracey Donaldson.

TRAGIC ... Ross Young with his son, Sonny. Below, with his fiance, Tracey Donaldson.

THE DEVASTATED family of a young father who died after his heart stopped twice, have spoken of the ‘massive void’ the tragedy has left in their lives.

Ross Young died in South Tyneside Hospital on Good Friday, three days after he was rushed to hospital when his fiance, Tracey Donaldson, found him unconscious at their home in Fallow Road, Marsden, South Shields.

The 27-year-old’s death is the second tragedy to hit the family in 18 months.

Ross’ uncle, Phil Young, was killed in a motorbike crash in September 2012 and the family went through the ordeal of his inquest earlier this month

His father, Gez Young, 48, says his son “never got over” the tragedy.

Mr Young said: “He never got over the death of his uncle. He ran straight to the scene when it happened and saw paramedics trying to resuscitate him in the road.

“Ross will be very, very much missed.

“He will leave a massive void. It’s just a huge loss for all the family. He was a lively, very active and had a lot of friends. He and his brother were very close.”

Ross is survived by his parents, Gez and Dawn Young, brother Lewis, 23, fiance Tracey, 26, and the couple’s six-and-a-half month old son Sonny.

The tragedy unfolded last Tuesday morning when Ms Donaldson found Ross on the sofa at their home, having left him watching TV the previous evening.

He had been out with friends the previous day, returning home at teatime.

At first she believed he was asleep but called an ambulance when she was unable to wake him.

Mr Young said Ross’ brain had been starved of oxygen and he had suffered a cardiac arrest. His heart had to be re-started by paramedics and again at South Tyneside District Hospital.

He was put on a ventilator at the hospital’s Intensive Treatment Unit but, on Friday, doctors had to break the news to his family that he had suffered brain damage which was so serious he had no chance of recovery.

Mr Young died of hypoxic encephalopathy - a condition in which the brain is starved of oxygen - and cardiac arrest.

His mother, Dawn Young, 48, said: “He was very well liked, very well thought of. We are expecting a huge turn out for his funeral. It hasn’t really sunk in yet.”

Mr Young was keen to thank all the medical staff who cared for his son, both paramedics who took him to hospital and the staff on the wards who cared for him.

Ms Donaldson added: “I think a little bit of him died when his uncle Phil died. He was a brilliant dad. We had been trying for a child for three years.

“Sonny’s first word was ‘dada’. We had already come up with names for another boy and a girl.”

Ross was a keen amateur boxer up to the age of 16 and also played football and rugby.

A funeral service will be held at South Shields Crematorium at 2.30pm on Tuesday, followed by a reception at the Jolly Steward pub.

Collections will take place at both the crematorium and the pub in aid of South Tyneside District Hospital’s Intensive Treatment Unit.





Back to the top of the page