A SOUTH Tyneside fish-and-chip shop has been forced to close its doors temporarily after a fire.
Four firefighters were called to the Golden Chippy in Stanhope Road, South Shields, on Tuesday after staff raised the alarm at about 11.30am.
It is believed a piece of equipment had overheated, causing a fire to break out in the shop.
Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus took two hours to put out the flames.
Police also attended to divert traffic after the road outside the shop was closed while the fire was being tackled.
Fire station watch manager James Ferguson said: “The property has been severely damaged by fire, which we believe has started after a piece of equipment has overheated.
“The shop staff had tried to tackle it first but, after being unable to, contacted the fire service.
“No one was injured, but we would always advise that if there is a fire, don’t try to tackle it yourself. Close the door and ring for the fire brigade instead.”