Firefighters deal with chimney fire at house in Hebburn

Ralph Street in Hebburn. Copyright Google Maps.

Ralph Street in Hebburn. Copyright Google Maps.

A fire broke out in the chimney flue of a South Tyneside house.

It happened at a two-storey house in Ralph Street in Hebburn on Tuesday night.

Eight firefighters from Hebburn station in two appliances attended the scene.

There, they found the blaze had started in the chimney flue.

The fire was confined to the ground floor of the house, which was 50% damaged by smoke.

One hose reel and a water backpack were used to put out the fire, and luckily the homeowner had managed to get out of the property before firefighters arrived.