A PROBE into the death of a mother and son in their South Tyneside home has ruled out carbon monoxide poisoning.
The bodies of Elizabeth, 73, and Robert Douthwaite, 44, were discovered on January 17 at their house in Heron Drive, South Shields, after concerns were raised by a window cleaner.
Tests carried out on the pair have revealed that carbon monoxide poisoning was not the cause of death.
A report is being prepared for the coroner and an inquest is expected to be held at a later date.
Mr Douthwaite, 44, was described by those who knew him as a keen photographer, who in the 1990s was commissioned by South Shields library to take part in the creation of a book, ‘South Shields Then & Now’, which compared the town’s past and present.
Mrs Douthwaite was said to have never recovered from her husband Bobby’s death 10 years ago.
An investigation carried out by Northumbria Police found there was no third-party involvement.