Battling heart girl Llana out of intensive care

LITTLE FIGHTER ... Llana Qazi, pictured, with sister Maria and dad, Mohammad, and mum, Shazeb.

LITTLE FIGHTER ... Llana Qazi, pictured, with sister Maria and dad, Mohammad, and mum, Shazeb.

A BRAVE little girl, who was left fighting for her life when her body rejected the donor heart she received, is “on the right track” after being taken out of intensive care.

Llana Qazi, two, has been receiving round-the-clock care at Freeman Hospital in Newcastle since the setback on February 15.

Her father, Mohammad Qazi, says the family’s hopes have been lifted by positive news from her doctors.

Mr Qazi said: “She is definitely doing better than she was before. She is now out of intensive care and on a heart unit ward. She is on the right track, by the grace of God.”

The toddler received a new heart in February 2012, when she was just nine months old, after spending almost eight months at the hospital.

She was kept alive by a mechanical Berlin Heart machine, after suffering from a condition called cardiomyopathy.

Mr Qazi and wife Shazeb, 42, as well as their sons Jassan and Saad and daughter Maria, have taken part in the Great North Run for the last two years to raise funds for the Freeman Hospital’s Children’s Heart Unit Fund (Chuf).

The family say they have been overwhelmed by the support of friends, family and well-wishers, since Llana’s latest health battle was reported in the Gazette last week.

Mr Qazi, 53, from Dean Road, South Shields, added: “We have had a lot of people who didn’t know about Llana’s condition who have been asking how she is. She is in everyone’s prayers. The support has been tremendous. We haven’t been told when Llana will be able to go home yet.”

Llana’s setback came just two days after the family’s business, the Fry Days fish and chip shop in East Smithy Street, South Shields, was raided by burglar Lee Mulholland, who stole a camera containing precious family snaps and a Cancer Research charity box.

Mulholland was jailed for 17 weeks at South Tyneside Magistrates’ Court last week, but the family are still to be reunited with a camera packed with memories.

Mr Qazi added: “We are not bothered about the camera. We would just like the memory card back, as it has a lot of family pictures on it.”

The camera taken was a Cannon DSR 10.1 megapixel camera.

Anyone who knows the whereabouts of the camera is asked to hand it in to police, the family’s takeaway business, or at least hand in the memory card with family pictures on it.

Twitter @shieldsgazchris




Back to the top of the page