Family’s plea as heart-swap girl’s body rejects donor organ

WAITING AND HOPING ... Llana Qazi with, from left, sister Maria, father Mohammad, and mother Shazeb, after her heart transplant in 2012.

WAITING AND HOPING ... Llana Qazi with, from left, sister Maria, father Mohammad, and mother Shazeb, after her heart transplant in 2012.

A DEVASTATED father has asked for “everyone’s prayers” as his two-year-old daughter fights for her life again.

Little Llana Qazi is in an intensive care unit at Newcastle’s Freeman Hospital after her body rejected the donor heart she received two years ago.

The medical setback comes just days after the Qazi family’s fish and chip shop in East Smithy Street, South Shields, was raided by burglar Lee Mulholland, who stole a camera containing precious family snaps and a Cancer Research charity box.

Mulholland was jailed for 17 weeks at South Tyneside Magistrates’ Court yesterday but Llana’s father, Mohammad, says the burglary pales into insignificance compared with the personal turmoil the family have gone through in the last two weeks.

He is, however, desperate for anyone who may have been sold the camera – which has not been recovered – to return it so the family can be reunited with cherished memories.

Mr Qazi, 53, from Dean Road, South Shields, said: “I’m not bothered about the burglary now, to be honest. It pales into insignificance.

“Llana’s condition deteriorated quite suddenly. We noticed that her breathing was laboured, and we phoned the doctors straight away and they said they would keep a check on her. Then it started to get worse and we took her to hospital.

“We are asking for everyone’s prayers. We hope to God that she will get better and she will be able to come home soon. She is in intensive care at the Freeman Hospital.

“She has suffered an acute rejection of the donor organ. It is a very serious thing.”

He added: “The doctors are saying she has made progress, which we are grateful for.”

Mr Qazi says he and his family are now waiting anxiously for updates on her condition. They have not been given any indication of when she will be able to return home after being taken back into to hospital on February 15.

The toddler received a new heart when she was just nine months old in February 2012 after spending almost eight months in Newcastle’s Freeman Hospital.

She was kept alive by a mechanical Berlin heart after suffering from a condition called cardiomyopathy.

Mr Qazi and wife Shazeb, 42, as well as their sons Jassan and Saad and daughter Maria, have taken part in the Great North Run for the last two years to raise funds for the Freeman Hospital’s Children’s Heart Unit Fund (CHUF).

Now the family are putting their faith in the hospital’s medical team again as Llana faces another fight in her young life.

The camera taken was a Cannon DSR 10.1 megapixel camera.

Anyone who knows the wherabouts of the camera is asked to hand it in to police, the family’s takeaway business or at least hand in the memory card with family pictures contained on it.

Twitter @shieldsgazchris




Back to the top of the page