DCSIMG

There’s no masking tenant’s smoke problem

COUNTER MEASURE ... Michael Cook and his wife, Pauline. His daughter bought him a gas mask because of the smoke problem at their home.

COUNTER MEASURE ... Michael Cook and his wife, Pauline. His daughter bought him a gas mask because of the smoke problem at their home.

A PENSIONER is fuming over cigarette smoke getting into his South Tyneside flat.

Michael Cook says his health is being put at risk by fumes from people smoking in neighbouring flats.

Housing bosses have already installed a smoke prevention device at the 68-year-old’s home in sheltered accommodation at Patrick Cain House, South Shields.

But Mr Cook says the device is not working and is now threatening legal action against South Tyneside Homes.

The grandad-of-four, who lives with his wife, Pauline, said: “I have absolutely no problem with people smoking. That is their right. I just don’t want it to get into my home.

“The problems here are just horrendous. We are being poisoned and our family won’t bring the grandchildren here.

“South Tyneside Homes has said they have done all they can, but the problem is still here and we are living with these toxic fumes.”

Mr Cook said cigarette fumes have been an issue since he moved into the flat four years ago, with smoke getting in through the patio door and floor of his home.

He added: “South Tyneside homes have been out and they tried to fill in the nooks and crannies where the smoke is getting through.

“They have tried to put things right, but they haven’t been able to, and putting up with this is not in our tenancy agreement. I feel they have an obligation to stop this.”

Mr Cook, a retired double-glazing and conservatory fitter, said he suffered a slight stroke in 2010.

He explained: “I had a slight stroke because of the stress of this, and I worry about our health.

“I am considering legal action because South Tyneside Homes have said they can’t help me any more. My daughter bought me a gas mask as it’s so bad, but I don’t wear it.”

John Musson, director of housing for South Tyneside Homes, said: “We have carried out sealant work and installed an electric air-curtain device to prevent smoke entering Mr Cook’s home.

“We believe we have taken all reasonable steps in the circumstances but will see if there is anything else we can do.”

Twitter: @shieldsgazjoe

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page