SIX homes in a high-rise block of flats were evacuated after smoke from smouldering clothes triggered the fire alarm.
Firefighters were called to Westmorland Court, Hebburn, at 12.15am today.
Clothes that had been placed on top of a heater had started to smoulder, causing smoke to drift from the airing cupboard.
The alarm sounded in the flat itself before smoke drifted up into a communal area, activating an alarm there.
Residents from six flats on sixth floor were evacuated while firefighters from Hebburn searched the building to find where the smoke was coming from.
Crews were at the 10-storey block of flats for 45 minutes.