DCSIMG

Asbo boy, 13, is back in court

A TEENAGE boy who was banned by the courts from riding his bike or seeing his friends has been arrested just days after the order was made.

The 13-year-old, from South Shields, was slapped with an anti-social behaviour order at South Tyneside Youth Court which bans him from riding his bike for two years.

The court order also bans him from seeing four of his "best friends", who he has committed offences with in the past.

The teenager, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, was arrested on Sunday after an officer alleged she saw the boy with one of the known associates, and he appeared at South Tyneside Magistrates Court yesterday charged with breaching his Asbo.

The boy pleaded not guilty to the offence and his case was adjourned for a trial in May.

Barely four feet tall, he has been convicted of a string of crimes since the age of 10, including theft, assault, handling stolen goods and riding in a stolen vehicle.

He has been banned from using a pedal cycle because he has committed a number of crimes while riding one.

His solicitor, Paul Kennedy, told the Gazette last week that he is appealing against the terms of he Asbo, claiming the order infringes his human rights.

The boy, who turned 13 just three months ago, is also not allowed to leave his home between the hours of 9pm and 7am as part of the court order.

As the Asbo was handed to the boy, on Wednesday last week, he broke down crying, telling magistrates: "This is just going to make me even worse now."

Prosecutors said the Asbo was imposed to prevent him from committing further offences.

Mr Kennedy said today he hopes to have the boy's appeal heard at Newcastle Crown Court on Friday.

 
 
 

Back to the top of the page