FIREFIGHTERS were called to a house in Boldon Colliery after an elderly resident raised concerns about his chimney.
A crew from South Shields was called to Arnold Street at 1.08pm today.
Officer Scott Hope said: “We received a call from an elderly man who was concerned that his chimney was on fire.
“He told us it wasn’t urgent and asked us to come by some time in the afternoon but obviously we treat all calls as a priority.”
The aerial team from Fulwell Fire Station was drafted in to gain access by the roof.
Firefighters used a hose reel to dampen the small blaze which is thought to have been caused by a build up in the chimney.
There was no damage to the house as the fire was contained to the chimney.
The resident was asked to wait outside until the fire brigade’s arrival and was not hurt.
Photographer Paul Young snapped these pictures of firefighters working to control the blaze.
The 45-year-old, who lives nearby, said: “It looked like it was a chimney fire. The fire brigade were up on ladders pouring water down the chimney.
“There was a lot of smoke and from time to time a big plume would cover the road and it was hard for motorists to see.
“There was a guy standing at the door when the fire brigade got there but I don’t think there was anyone inside when they were pouring the water down the chimney.”