DCSIMG

Mum of sunbed-horror teen tells of her grief

GRANT ADAMS ... the teenager died in a freak sunbed accident.

GRANT ADAMS ... the teenager died in a freak sunbed accident.

THE mother of the teenager who died from horrific injuries after a freak sunbed accident told today how she can’t believe he’s gone.

Grant Adams, 17, suffered a pierced jugular when he tripped over some trainers and fell onto the free-standing tanning machine at his home in South Frederick Street, Laygate, South Shields, on Sunday.

A glass tube on the sunbed caused serious injuries to his neck, and he fell down the stairs.

He was taken by air ambulance to the Royal Victoria Infirmary in Newcastle, where he had a five-hour operation.

He died in the hospital yesterday evening.

Today, his mum, Amanda Smedley, said she “cannot believe he’s gone”.

Miss Smedley said she found her son, who was an apprentice bricklayer, in a pool of blood.

“He stumbled out of bed, tripped and the bottom of the sunbed tubes went into his neck.

“When he pulled it out of his neck he stumbled down the stairs.

“My boyfriend tried to keep the blood from pumping out of his neck until the paramedics came.”

Grant, who was an apprentice bricklayer, was due to become a father in two months’ time, and his mum said the unborn baby girl is the “only thing” she has left of him.

“He was a happy-go-lucky fun-loving lad. He was a bricklayer and all he did was work, sleep, work, sleep.

“It’s his 18th birthday in two weeks time, he had just bought a car, he’s got a baby on the way, he had everything to live for, everything.”

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page