COMMUTERS were facing long journeys home this afternoon as several roads were closed as heavy rain continued to pour on South Tyneside.
Update from Northumbria Police at 8pm:
* The A19 northbound from Durham into Northumbria Police area is closed and is expected to be until around midnight - diversions in place via A1018 Ryhope. Southbound is open. Traffic in the area is still heavy.
* The A19 in South Tyneside is open in both directions with a minor closure on filter lane leading to A184.
* Benton Road, Whiteleas closed due to flooding and a collision.
* Western Approach/Tyne Dock is open and passable with care - delays expected.
Roads closed included:
* A19 northbound between Testo’s roundabout and the Tyne Tunnel - NOW PARTIALLY OPEN
* Victoria Terrace, East Boldon
* A19 sliproad A194 westbound
* Traffic lights are out at the Lindisfarne and Simonside roundabouts, but they are passable with care
* Moor Lane, Whitburn
The following roads have experienced surface water flooding but are currently passable with extreme care:
* A184 westbound between Testo’s and White Mare Pool
* York Avenue (northbound only)
* Cleadon Lane from Cleadon Village to Whitburn
* A1018 at junction with Whitburn Road
* Newcastle Road at junction with John Reid Road
* Lindisfarne roundabout westbound
* Durham Drive, Fellgate
* Lichfield Way, Fellgate
* Kennedy’s Corner, Tyne Dock
* Western Approach, Tyne Dock
* The Metro crossing at East Boldon is flooded but passable with care. Police and Nexus are in attendance.