A RESHUFFLE of South Tyneside Council’s main decision-making body has taken place.
The council cabinet, made up of nine elected representatives, all with areas of special responsibility, makes major decisions which affect the lives of people in the borough.
After a meeting of the borough council this week, three new faces have been chosen to join the cabinet by Labour council leader, Iain Malcolm, while three exit.
Among those to depart are Coun Michael Clare, lead member for the important portfolio of regeneration and economy.
He has been replaced by Coun John Anglin, the former Mayor and Labour ward member for the Beacon and Bents ward in South Shields. The new Mayor, Coun Fay Cunningham, has relinquished her position as lead member for health and wellbeing after taking up the civic role for 2014/15.
Coun Moira Smith, who represents Primrose in Jarrow, steps into her shoes.
Coun Jim Foreman, formerly lead member on housing and transport, has also exited the cabinet.
His replacement is Coun Allan West, who has himself relinquished his adult social care cabinet role to Coun Mary Butler, Labour’s representative in Hebburn North.
Coun West, along with Labour colleague Coun Gladys Hobson, will also be the borough’s representatives on the new North East Combined Authority’s transport committee.
After last week’s local elections the political make-up in the council chamber remained unchanged, with Labour continuing to dominate with 49 seats.
The Conservatives have one, UKIP has one and there are three independents.
That numerical advantage is reflected in the appointments of chairs and vice-chairs of various council committees.
Only one non-Labour chair has been appointed – Coun Jeff Milburn, Conservative for Cleadon and East Boldon, heads the audit committee.
Other chairs include Coun John McCabe (people select committee); Coun Alan Smith (housing performance panel) and Coun Sherie Murphy (contracts performance panel).
Coun Malcolm himself will chair four committees.
The cabinet comprises:
* Coun Iain Malcolm (Leader of council)
* Coun Alan Kerr (Deputy Leader of council)
* Coun John Anglin (lead member regeneration and economy)
* Coun Joan Atkinson (lead member children, young people and families)
* Coun Mary Butler (lead member adult social care and support Services)
* Coun Tracey Allison Dixon (lead member area management and community safety)
* Coun Edward Malcolm (lead member resources and innovation)
* Coun Moira Smith (lead member health and wellbeing)
* Coun Allan West (lead member housing and transport)