Kindhearted well wishers have sent messages to a dog owner who lost her beloved dog in a horrific accident.
Sproker Sid was out for a walk with owner Maureen Scharlott and her other dog Jasper when he became stuck on a spike in the undergrowth, puncturing his lung.
The two-year-old dog was lifted clear of the rusty piece of metal by 66-year-old Maureen, who was also left with a cut to her hand which needed treatment at A&E, and taken to a vets.
But despite the care of a specialist team, surgery, painkillers and antibiotics, leaving a bill of £4,000, the dog began to suffer from organ failure and had to be put to sleep.
South Tyneside Council has since carried out a clear up of the area of the mineral line between Whiteleas Club and John Reid Road and has launched an investigation.
It believes the metal was part of an old fence.
Read the full story here.
Among the comments left by readers moved to get in touch was one by Laura Marie Elder Ganioglu.
She said: "So sad.
"She's right, it could have easily been a child. They should they been kept on a lead also."
Paul Ryan said: "My condolences to this lady, what a horrible thing to witness.
"My daughter's 10-month-old cocker had to be put to sleep last year because of some vile person leaving, on purpose, slug pellets on dog walks.
"God bless Sid and Mango."
Shauna Revill added: "We used to see this lady walking her dogs all the time down there. Awful thing to happen."
Kathleen Jayne Tudberry said: "So sorry to hear of this tragic event.
"I used to walk my dog along that path years ago and there was always rubbish tipped there in some places.
"Such a shame because it is a beautiful walk, or could be if it wasn't for some thoughtless people.
"It is perfect for exercising your dog off it's lead away from traffic.
"So sorry for your loss."
Christine Burdis said: "What a heartbreaking story and no doubt this woman exercised her dogs here so she could let them off the lead without the worry of having her dogs run on roads or jump on people.
"As anyone who owns a springer, knows you can't exercise them properly without letting off for a run, and bushes and a long walk are ideal.
"I blame the council and those who dump litter here,
"The council should inspect it once in awhile to make sure it safe for both animal and individuals who walk along its paths.
"My thoughts are with this lady and her family."
Emma White said: "So sad.
"RIP little man from all us here and our two sprockers. Fantastic dogs. It's awful to hear things like this."
Kelly Dee Bainbridge said: "So sad could have been anyone. So sorry for your loss."