Pupils warned of ‘sexting’ dangers after boys arrested over indecent images

editorial image

Pupils at every secondary school in South Tyneside are to be warned about the dangers of “sexting” after two pupils were arrested.

Police were made aware of concerns on Friday, of children at a school in the borough sharing inappropriate images, through a social networking site.

Two boys – aged 13 and 12 – were arrested on suspicion of possessing indecent images of a child.

They have been bailed pending further inquiries.

Council chiefs have said that every secondary school will now be contacted to raise awareness of the “sexting” issue – which is where explicit images are shared via text.

A council spokesman said: “We work closely with the police and school leaders to raise awareness of the issue of ‘sexting’ in our schools.

“In conjunction with the police, every secondary school will be contacted to emphasise the dangers of this type of behaviour.

“The council also offers a high-quality online filtering and monitoring system for schools to use for their own internet connections, and has trained e-safety ambassadors who provide training and support to school staff on helping children and young people understand e-safety.

Police say inquiries are ongoing into the incident to ensure the safeguarding of those involved, and no children are at risk of exploitation.

Southern Area Command Superintendent Sarah Pitt, of Northumbria Police, said police had already been working with schools in the borough to warn pupils about sharing pictures of themselves.

She also said that, while social networking was a popular form of communication for young people, they should be aware of the dangers.