Vets save dog who gobbled glow stick and three dummy teats

PDSA Vet Nurse Karen Nicholson with Rosie

PDSA Vet Nurse Karen Nicholson with Rosie

0
Have your say

A pet charity has saved much-loved dog after it swallowed some rather unorthodox doggy treats, causing a near-fatal blockage in her stomach.

Unbeknown to her owner Rosie the caverpoo gobbled up three dummy teats and a glow stick.

...

...

After the pooch - a cavalier King Charles spaniel crossed with a poodle - began showing some worrying symptoms, her owner Megan Marron, 22, took 11-month-old pet to Middlesbrough PDSA Pet Hospital.

“We didn’t know what was wrong – Rosie was being sick and was very lethargic, which is really unlike her as she’s usually full of energy”, she said.

Once at PDSA, X-rays revealed a potentially fatal blockage in her intestine and several other items in Rosie’s stomach.

PDSA Vet Nigel Crane said: “Dogs often use their mouth to investigate objects, and sometimes swallow things by mistake. Although objects sometimes pass through without harm, some get stuck in the dog’s stomach or intestines, which is extremely dangerous and can be life-threating.”

PDSA Vet Nurse Karen Nicholson and Vet Nigel Crane holding dummies similar to the ones Rosie ate

PDSA Vet Nurse Karen Nicholson and Vet Nigel Crane holding dummies similar to the ones Rosie ate

Poor Rosie was already very weak when she arrived at the hospital and vets were uncertain whether she would survive an emergency operation. But it was her only chance of survival. Vets were shocked when they removed the items and realised what they were – the dummy teats had clearly been inside her for some time.

Megan added: “Rosie was at death’s door when we left her with PDSA, and we were devastated to think we might lose her. When we heard she’d survived the operation and was recovering well, we were over the moon. She really is part of the family, I’m so grateful to PDSA for saving her life – they were amazing.

“I don’t know how she got hold of these things. The dummies must have been my daughter’s but they’re not usually left lying around. I have absolutely no idea where she got hold of a glow stick though!”

Rosie made a remarkably quick recovery and was soon back to her normal bouncy, mischievous self. Megan now keeps a very close eye on her at home and is extra careful when out on walks.

Megan Marron with Rosie

Megan Marron with Rosie

Vet Nigel added: “PDSA vets have removed very bizarre items from pets over the years, including tent pegs, kitchen knives, radio aerials and plenty of toys.”

“Signs that your pet may have eaten something they shouldn’t include being sick, drooling excessively or having difficulty breathing. Call your vet immediately if you notice any of these things. It’s also a good idea to teach your dog basic commands such as ‘leave’ and ‘drop’ from a young age.”

::PDSA is the UK’s leading vet charity and is on a mission to improve pet wellbeing through preventive care, education and emergency treatment.

Each year the charity treats around 470,000 pets, providing more than 2.7 million treatments to pets in need. Funding from players of People’s Postcode Lottery helps us to provide emergency operations for pets like Rosie. For more information visit www.pdsa.org.uk

...

...

Megan with her daughter Skye Stuart (5) and Rosie

Megan with her daughter Skye Stuart (5) and Rosie