FABRICIO Coloccini says he’ll do his talking on the pitch as he leads Newcastle United during Alan Pardew’s stadium ban.
Pardew won’t be allowed inside St James’s Park for the club’s next two home games, and the 52-year-old’s stadium suspension is followed by a four-match touchline ban.
Pardew – handed the sanction by the Football Association for headbutting Hull City’s David Meyler – has said Coloccini will be an important figure in his absence on a matchday.
“Colo is not the type of person to do some Churchillian speech, that’s not his way,” Pardew said. “But he will find a way to offer John (Carver) some assistance, I know he will.”
However, Coloccini – who last week insisted Pardew retained the full backing of the players – has revealed his biggest verbal contribution won’t necessarily be made in the dressing room.
“I’m not really vocal in the dressing room, I’m more (vocal) on the pitch,” Coloccini told the Gazette.
“I’m there when we need the words. If someone is not in a good position, we can concede a goal.
“I think it’s more important on the pitch.”
Pardew delivered his final briefing from the team hotel before last weekend’s game against Fulham.
And John Carver, his assistant, took charge of team affairs after the players boarded the bus to Craven Cottage, though Pardew twice made contact during the match, which United lost 1-0.
Next up are Pardew’s former club Crystal Palace, who visit St James’s Park on Saturday.
Asked about his role during Pardew’s ban, Coloccini added: “I don’t think it’s more responsibility, I think it’s the same.
“Because when we are all on the pitch we can’t hear what he says near the line.
“The responsibility when we are all on the pitch is the same.”
Newcastle dropped to ninth in the Premier League after the Fulham game.