Shields blow lead against Bishops

BLOW ... Shields boss Jon King.
BLOW ... Shields boss Jon King.

SOUTH Shields surrendered a two-goal half-time advantage to lose 4-2 at Bishop Auckland on Saturday.

The hosts started the game on the front foot as former Mariner Chris Bell tormented the defence, and they almost went ahead through Cummings.

Shields responded well with a good run from debutant Andrew Thompson.

Both side’s created a number of chances, but it wasn’t until the 31st minute that the deadlock was broken – Liam Henderson heading Shields in front from close range.

Within two minutes the advantage was doubled as Henderson turned provider, beating two defenders before crossing for Paul Robinson to find the net.

Shields maintained the pressure on the home defence, but were unable take advantage as Denver Morris was denied twice by Jeffries in the Bishop Auckland goal.

In the first minute of the second half Shields again pressed forward as Jonny Wightman and Morris combined to release Henderson, but again Jeffries was on hand to deny the Shields striker.

Bishop Auckland reduced the deficit on 52 minutes as Johnson capitalised on a defensive error to fire past James Winter in the Shields goal.

The strike spurred Bishop Auckland forward and Bell was denied twice in quick succession.

Shields looked to restore their two-goal lead, and went close when Robinson fired wide.

But it was soon 2-2 as Bell’s cross was unfortunately turned into his own net by Mariners defender Chris Renshaw.

Three minutes later and the visitors took the lead for the first time in the game.

Wearmouth beat the Shields defence on the left before crossing to Johnson, and he turned the ball past Winter at the front post to make it 3-2.

Shields pressed forward looking to get back into the game.

However, the Bishop Auckland defence held firm only allowing Shields long-range efforts on goal.

With the game into added time Bishops hit Shields on the counter attack, and Bell fired in the goal of the game from 20 yards to give the hosts a 4-2 victory.

Shields are next in action away to Guisborough on Wednesday night, and face a second away trip to Marske on Saturday.