WOLVES boss Stale Solbakken admits some of his players could leave before the weekend as Sunderland’s pursuit of Steven Fletcher rumbles on.
Fletcher was again absent from the Wolves squad for last night’s 3-1 Molineux victory over Barnsley, with the 25-year-old recovering from an ankle injury.
Sunderland re-entered into discussions with Wolves last week, and the Black Cats are thought to be making gradual progress.
But the two clubs are still to reach a final agreement on a fee after Sunderland’s improved offer of around £12m was rejected by the Championship outfit last week.
The Gazette understands Sunderland are not willing to go above that figure – albeit there may be manoeuvre over how much is paid up front – and Wolves are now backtracking from the £15m price tag they slapped on Fletcher.
With Wolves also looking for £10m-plus for West Ham target Matt Jarvis, Solbakken faces an uncertain nine remaining days of the transfer window.
Solbakken said: “If we lose Fletcher, Jarvis or both, we have a tough job to do. We will have to rebuild the team in a way and that will probably take a little more time.
“I’m sure players will go and come in – maybe even before the Derby game (on Saturday). If valuations are matched, something can happen. I don’t know if the clubs (Sunderland and Wolves) are still talking.
“But I want the transfer window closed now. That would suit me.”
Meanwhile, Solbakken last night scotched reports that Sunderland striker Connor Wickham would be used as a makeweight in the deal.
“I’ve been in no contact whatsoever with this player,” he said.
Sunderland also continue to be linked with a loan for Manchester City’s John Guidetti, although any move is likely to hinge on their success in signing Fletcher.
Meanwhile, Sunderland are still the only club to have submitted a bid for Manchester City’s Adam Johnson, while O’Neill has also made inquiries for Spurs duo Danny Rose and Jermaine Jenas.