Animals rescued from house fire in South Tyneside

Fire crews helped the horse
Fire crews helped the horse

A kitten and two cats have been rescued after a fire broke out in a South Tyneside home.

A total of 12 firefighters from South Shields and North Shields were called to Defoe Avenue, Biddick Hall, South Shields at 4.45pm today.

A fire had broken out in a reptile tank within the living room of the two-storey property.

The tank was destroyed including its contents. The living room was damaged by fire and smoke.

Two cats and a kitten in the kitchen of the property were rescued by firefighters. They were uninjured.

It had been thought there were people at home, but after a search of the property no one was found.

Firefighters say the cause of the fire was accidental.