Boldon cinema evacuated after fire scare

Cineworld, Boldon Leisure Park
Cineworld, Boldon Leisure Park

CINEMA-goers had a shock after they had to be evacuated when smoke was seen coming from a film screen.

It happened at Cineworld, in Boldon Colliery, South Tyneside.

Screens eight and nine at the multiplex were evacuated by staff, with three engines from South Shields station rushing to deal with the incident.

Customers were awarded a full refund after the incident, which took place at about 1pm on Tuesday.

One woman who contacted the Gazette said: “We’d been to watch Nativity Three and smoke was pumping out of screen nine.

“No siren was sounding and a member of the public raised the alarm.

“Eventually, screen eight and nine were evacuated and three fire engines attended.

“As we left, the box office were still admitting new customers to other screenings.”

A spokeswoman for Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service said the call had been deemed a false alarm.

A Cineworld spokeswoman said: “We can confirm that the Fire Service attended Cineworld Boldon on Tuesday, December 30, to investigate the presence of smoke.

“There was no fire at the cinema. However, two of the screens were temporarily evacuated as a precautionary measure.

“Customers were given full refunds.”