A safety probe has been launched at a firm after a worker suffered serious burns in a factory blaze.
The 20-year-old man was taken to hospital with first-degree burns after a flash fire broke out on the production line at Faltec Europe Ltd, in Boldon Business Park, at about 5.50am last Friday.
The on-site investigation into this isolated incident is ongoing.Faltec
The Healthy and Safety Executive were on site at the weekend and an investigation into the incident is ongoing.
The worker received first aid at the scene from firefighters from South Shields and Washington, who applied emergency burns dressings. He was taken to South Tyneside District Hospital.
It is understood he was released from hospital on Sunday.
The cause of the fire is not yet known.
The car components factory was at the centre of a health investigation for several months this year after a Legionnaires’ disease outbreak on the site.
The company was ordered to shut down four cooling towers by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) after significant levels of the potentially-lethal bacteria were discovered on site.
Four workers at the factory in Boldon Business Park, as well as a resident whose home overlooks the premises, required hospital treatment after contracting the disease between last October and May.
The HSE served Improvement and Prohibition Notices on Faltec on June 5, but both were lifted last month after the company put in place safety improvement measures.
A Faltec spokesman said: “The on-site investigation into this isolated incident is ongoing. We have also called in the additional support of external safety consultants to assist.
“Since last Friday we have remained in close contact with the HSE. Production at our factories has not been affected and we are maintaining our commitment to all customers. We continue to liaise with the family of our injured employee and wish him a speedy recovery.”
A Health and Safety Executive spokesman said of the incident: “HSE is aware and investigating.”