Children rescued from house fire in South Shields

The fire broke out at a house in Masefield Drive. Picture by Google Maps.
The fire broke out at a house in Masefield Drive. Picture by Google Maps.

Three children and an adult were rescued by firefighters after a house fire in South Shields.

The blaze broke out at a home in Masefield Drive at about 10pm last night.

Fire officers rescued three children and an adult, who received treatment at the scene but did not need to go to hospital.

The fire started in the kitchen, and is believed to have been caused by a pan.

A spokesman for Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service said: "At 10.06pm last night, approximately 12 firefighters from our South Shields and Hebburn fire stations responded to a house fire in the Masefield Drive area of South Shields.

"This was a fire in the kitchen.

"As a result of the fire in the kitchen, a pan was removed from the heat source and it was placed outside, and the cooker was isolated from its electrical supply.

"Four crews wearing breathing apparatus entered the premises and one positive pressure ventilation was used.

"Three children were rescued by fire service personnel, and they administered oxygen as a precautionary measure.

"One adult was also rescued by fire service personnel and was administered first aid as a precautionary measure.

"All of the residents were checked over and did not require hospital treatment."