Cigarette sparks fire at South Shields flat

Fire crews were called to a flat fire in South Shields.
Fire crews were called to a flat fire in South Shields.

A carelessly discarded cigarette sparked a fire at a flat in South Shields.

Firefighters from South Shields and Hebburn were called to a fire at first floor flat on Mowbray Road, South Shields, at 9.50am today.

The fire was located in a waste paper bin, but was extinguished prior to the arrival of crews.

Firefighters found an elderly woman sitting in a chair in the living room of the property, but she was uninjured.

Crews used two breathing apparatus, one positive pressure ventilator and one thermal image camera to tackle the incident.

Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service have confirmed that the cause of the fire was a carelessly disgarded cigarette.

The living room of the flat was lightly smoke damaged.