Cigarette sparks fire at South Shields flat
A carelessly discarded cigarette sparked a fire at a flat in South Shields.
Firefighters from South Shields and Hebburn were called to a fire at first floor flat on Mowbray Road, South Shields, at 9.50am today.
The fire was located in a waste paper bin, but was extinguished prior to the arrival of crews.
Firefighters found an elderly woman sitting in a chair in the living room of the property, but she was uninjured.
Crews used two breathing apparatus, one positive pressure ventilator and one thermal image camera to tackle the incident.
Drivers warned of road closures on busy A194 in South Tyneside
Developers bid to add extra floor to former sports bar in bid to 'modernise' vacant building for housing scheme
Man in life-threatening condition after 'serious collision' involving car and pedestrian in South Shields
Countdown to Metro line closure - travellers urged to prepare for service suspension between Pelaw and South Shields
New shop units to be created in Harton Village, which grocer and hairdresser likely uses
Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service have confirmed that the cause of the fire was a carelessly disgarded cigarette.
The living room of the flat was lightly smoke damaged.