Attack on Metro teen is condemned

SERIOUS ASSAULT ... a 15-year-old boy was attacked after getting off a Metro at East Boldon.
SERIOUS ASSAULT ... a 15-year-old boy was attacked after getting off a Metro at East Boldon.

A VICIOUS attack which left a teenager lying bloodied in the middle of the road has today been condemned.

The 15-year-old was attacked after getting got off a Metro train at East Boldon station on Sunday night.

He was set upon by three men in nearby Station Road, and left with serious injuries to his face.

After being taken to South Tyneside District Hospital for treatment, he was transferred to Newcastle’s Royal Victoria Infirmary (RVI).

He remains in hospital, where police say he is a stable condition.

The teenager got on the Metro at Monument station in Newcastle, and was travelling home to Boldon. He was attacked at 8.40pm.

Officers are looking for three men in their late 20s or early 30s who they think followed him off the train and attacked him.

Police were called to the scene and found the bloodied victim lying in the middle of the road.

Coun Jeff Milburn, Tory ward member for Cleadon and East Boldon, said the attack was simply unacceptable.

He said: “We don’t have a lot of crime in Cleadon and East Boldon and that is the way we’d like to keep it.

“If three men have followed a boy off the Metro and attacked him – for what sounds like no reason – it is totally unacceptable and won’t be tolerated by our community.

“There will be CCTV from the Metro, I’m sure. When police get their hands on that, whoever did this will hopefully be caught and brought to justice.”

One of the Labour representatives for the ward, Coun Margaret Meling, branded the attack “atrocious”.

She said: “This sounds like an extremely serious attack, and violent crime is not welcome in East Boldon.

“If a young boy has been attacked by three men then it is dreadful. It is an atrocious thing to do.

“My thoughts are with him and his family, and I hope whoever did it is caught and punished.”

Neighbourhood Inspector Dave Hudson said: “The victim sustained serious facial injuries as a result of the attack and was taken to South Tyneside General Hospital then the RVI for treatment.

“He is now in a stable condition and our inquiries into the attack are ongoing.

“We believe he may have been followed by three men who also got off at the same station.”

A spokesman for British Transport Police said it would supply any CCTV footage that might aid the investigation.

Anyone with information is asked to contact police on 101 ext 69191, or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Twitter: @shieldsgazcrime