Chief inspector sacked for gross misconduct

DISMISSED ... Mark Anastasi has been sacked as a Northumbria Police chief inspector following a disciplinary hearing.
DISMISSED ... Mark Anastasi has been sacked as a Northumbria Police chief inspector following a disciplinary hearing.

A SENIOR police officer who started his career in South Tyneside has been sacked following a misconduct probe.

Chief Inspector Mark Anastasi was dismissed by Northumbria Police after a disciplinary hearing into allegations of gross misconduct.

Mr Anastasi, who has more than 20 years’ policing experience, was suspended last year after accusations of inappropriate behaviour in the workplace.

Now he has lost his job following an investigation by Northumbria Police.

The hearing was held last month.

A Northumbria Police spokeswoman confirmed: “We can confirm a chief inspector, previously suspended following an allegation of gross misconduct, was dismissed following a disciplinary hearing.”

The matter was reported to the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC), before being referred back to Northumbria Police to investigate at local level.

An IPCC spokesman said at the time: “Following an assessment, we decided we were content for the matter to remain under investigation by the police force, without any further IPCC involvement.”

Mr Anastasi joined the force in 1990 and started his career in South Tyneside.

He was promoted to sergeant in Ashington, Northumberland, and also spent two years as a detective sergeant in Wallsend and Forest Hall, before moving to child protection as a detective inspector.

He has worked in a variety of roles, including the Metro unit, as well as working on force projects which put to use the masters degree in business administration which he gained at Newcastle Business School.

He also served as a detective chief inspector in charge of a number of murder inquiries, including the killing of Blyth man Barry Self, who died after an unprovoked attack by thug Paul Robinson on New Year’s Day in 2010.

Prior to his suspension, Mr Anastasi was in charge of neighbourhood teams and 24/7 response officers in North Tyneside.

Gordon Armstrong, chairman of the Northumbria Police Federation, said: “Chief Inspector Anastasi was too ill to attend his hearing.

“The hearing went ahead in his absence.

“The officer vehemently denies the allegations and he intends to contest the findings.”