Cop car crashed chasing motor menace doing 70mph through South Shields streets

Christopher Storey
Christopher Storey

A motor menace was out on licence from prison when he sparked a high-speed pursuit through South Tyneside which ended with a police car smashing into a wall.

Christopher Storey had been out of jail for just a fortnight when he led officers on a dangerous pursuit on Saturday - hitting speeds of 70mph in 30mph zone streets - after they signalled for him to pull over on suspicion of driving without insurance.

The vehicle carried onto John Reid Road and Boldon Lane, showing disregard for other road users.

Glenda Beck

The 22-year-old showed ‘disregard’ for other road users - after racing through junctions, overtaking at a pelican crossing, driving through a red light and narrowly avoiding colliding with other cars.

The chase came to a halt when a BMW police patrol car careered into the garden wall of a residential property in Gosforth Avenue, South Shields.

Storey abandoned the vehicle but was tracked down by officers on the ground directed by a force helicopter before being arrested.

Storey, of no fixed abode, admitted dangerous driving, driving without insurance and otherwise than in accordance with a licence at South Tyneside Magistrates’ Court yesterday.

Glenda Beck, prosecuting, said: “When the police officer illuminated his blue lights, the Renault Clio drove away at speed at about 4.20pm on Saturday.

“The vehicle carried onto John Reid Road and Boldon Lane, showing disregard for other road users.

“The car overtook cars on a pelican crossing and pulled out in front of another vehicle on Newcastle Road, forcing the driver to brake hard to avoid collision.”

The court heard that Storey was caged for two years for robbery and possession of a bladed article at Newcastle Crown Court in March.

Mrs Beck added: “He was released on licence in August and only two weeks later has ended up back in court in custody having admitted serious offences.”

Judith Curry, defending, made no application for bail.

Storey will be sentenced at Newcastle Crown Court at a date to be fixed and was remanded in custody in the meantime. He is also being recalled on his licence.