Dad arrested for breaking into his own house

SHATTERED GLASS ... David Barnes admitted breaking into his own home after his girlfriend locked him out.
SHATTERED GLASS ... David Barnes admitted breaking into his own home after his girlfriend locked him out.

A WOMAN’S 30th birthday celebrations were ruined by her boyfriend who was furious that she went out to celebrate.

David Barnes demanded the woman carried out a DNA test on their 20-month-old daughter the night before her birthday, telling her he didn’t believe he was the father.

David Barnes

David Barnes

They argued about the mother-of-three’s plans to celebrate with her friends, and when her 10-year-old son woke up, Barnes called her derogatory names in front of him.

When she was out the next night, the 30-year-old called her to ask when she was coming home, and when she did arrive, he started to shout at her.

Then, when he left in a rage, she locked the door behind him.

Barnes then kicked and banged on the front door before going to the back of the house and smashing his way in through the kitchen window, damaging the blinds in the process and leaving the room covered in shattered glass.

Barnes, now of Thames Road, Hebburn, pleaded guilty at South Tyneside Magistrates’ Court to causing criminal damage and being drunk in a public place.

The court heard that in 2010 Barnes was convicted of attacking the same woman, who also had a younger daughter.

Sarah Guest, prosecuting, said: “She had been planning a night out for her 30th birthday.

“When she mentioned it to Barnes he was unhappy about it, and, after agreeing to babysit, asked her to have a DNA test to prove their daughter was his.

“He called her while she was out on Saturday night and asked her what time she would be back – she said he was clearly angry.”

When the woman came home with her friends, she said he began to flirt with one of them, until she told him he had no chance and left.

Mrs Guest added: “After arguing, he went out and she locked the door behind him.

“He began to kick and bang it, and the woman called the police.

“Barnes then went to the back of the house and smashed the kitchen window and blinds. 
The kitchen was covered in shattered glass.

“The children were in the house and were upset.

“When he was arrested, he said he’d had four cans of lager and told the officers he couldn’t remember what had happened.”

David Forrester, defending, said: “This is a clear case of ‘drink in, wit out’.

“She had a good reason for not letting him in.

“He knows that he has a history of this, although he thought he had sorted it out.”

Magistrates adjourned the case until May 9 for the probation service to prepare a pre-sentence report about Barnes.

Chairman of the bench Gerry Tierney said: “There were children present and they were upset.

“You’ve also done damage to yourself with this incident; hopefully you’re regretting it. We feel we need reports, given that there is history to this case.”

Twitter: @shieldsgazcrime