A FATHER from South Tyneside has been spared jail over a baseball bat attack after a school bullying row exploded into violence.
Shaun Holland, 36, caused injuries to David Randawar’s head and leg, broke his right hand and left him covered in bruises after a violent doorstop confrontation.
Newcastle Crown Court heard the Holland family had been in dispute with a family called Kelly over claims children had been bullying each other at school in Hebburn.
There was already a history of police reports between the two sides, with accusations going both ways.
When Mr Randawar turned up at Holland’s door, in Redhouse Road, Hebburn, on August 23, on behalf of the Kelly family, the trouble flared and left him hospitalised needing stitches and plaster.
Bob Spragg, prosecuting, told the court: “The background is an ongoing dispute between two families, the Hollands and the Kellys.
“A dispute in relation to bullying at school of children, each side blaming the other.”
The court heard Mr Randawar turned up at the Holland family on behalf of the Kelly family and he was attacked by a mystery culprit with a “massive blow” to the head.
Mr Spragg added: “Holland then came running out with a baseball bat. Mr Randawar ran and the defendant caught up with him and hit him with the bat.
“His injuries were consistent with several blows.”
Holland admitted causing grievous bodily harm.
Judge John Evans said the incident was “disgraceful” and sentenced Holland to 15 months imprisonment, suspended for 18 months, with supervision, programme and curfew requirements.
Judge Evans told him: “Whatever problems children may have at school, it is completely inappropriate for matters to be dealt with in the way that you did.
“Your response that day was completely out of order.
“It would have been simple enough to close the door and ignore it.
“It may not have deterred them but it is a better approach than the approach you in fact adopted.”
Caroline Goodwin, defending, said a member of the Kelly family had also been in the street when the attack took place.
She said Mr Randawar made threats of his own through internet site Facebook after the attack.
She added: “It was an unattractive incident in the street.
“He is extremely remorseful for his behaviour and has moved out of the area.”