Dad bought stun gun on holiday to Turkey but failed to hand it into police

A man who mistakenly bought a stun gun while on holiday and then failed to hand it into police has avoided jail.

Tuesday, 19th November 2019, 2:49 pm
Updated Tuesday, 19th November 2019, 3:09 pm
Newcastle Crown Court.
Newcastle Crown Court.

Gary Fradgley got the device, which was also a torch, while on holiday in Turkey with his family three-years-ago.

Newcastle Crown Court heard how on August 31 last year police arrived at the 32-year-old's home address is Hebburn, South Tyneside, in relation to a different matter.

Jolyon Perks, prosecuting, said that the device was produced from the kitchen and taken away for forensic inspection and identified as a non-lethal, high voltage stun gun, which was "non-functioning".

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Mr Perks added: "(The defendant) purchased the item in Turkey three-years-ago whilst on a family holiday, from a local tourist shop along with other items."

He explained how while Fradgley may not have realised the nature of the device immediately, once he became aware he should have handed it in.

He added that there was no evidence that Fradgley had kept hold of the device with any ill intention.

Nick Lane, defending, pointed out that the defendant has few convictions and is at low risk of re-offending.

He told the court how Fradgley is in a stable relationship and has three children.

Mr Lane asked for the defendant to be made the subject of a community order, which "would act as an appropriate punishment in the case and enable him to do some good for the public."

Fradgley, of Walsh Avenue, Hebburn, admitted possessing a prohibited weapon at the hearing.

Judge Sarah Mallett said: "The offence of course is serious and all firearm offences are serious and the court will always be considering a custodial sentence."

However, she added: "There is realistic prospect, indeed, good prospect of rehabilitation and there is mitigation in terms of family circumstances."

Judge Mallett made Fradgley the subject of a two year community order.

He was also ordered to complete 250 hours unpaid work, made subject of a electronically monitored curfew and to pay £800 in court costs.